Online Nastiness

 When selling online, you will meet a lot of really nice and interesting people.  I sold some old Cub Scout pinewood derby cars to a Cub Scout Pack Master who lived several hours away.  We had a lovely exchange reminiscing about my kids and their participation in the derby as well as him reflecting on his own participation in the 70s.  

I met the mother of a woman I had known when our kids were in preschool together.  She was picking up some easy readers to give to her friend who is a speech pathologist just like me.  Up until now, save for a few scammers, I have only had good experiences.

Today was a first.  I posted these little plastic people that represented various occupations.  I used to use them when I was in classrooms.  A bunch of people asked if they were available and I responded yes to all.  One woman who lives nearby replied back to arrange a pick up that day.  I put them on the porch and she was paid and gone within 2 hours of the item being posted.  Great right?

Well, one of the other people who had asked if the item was available messaged me back.

"So it's sold now?"

I replied, "Yes, sorry"

She countered with, "You didn't even give me 2 hours to respond, nice"

I apologized and explained that, although many people had been interested, only one person arranged a pick-up.  This did not appease her and she went on to get a bit nastier calling me rude, etc.  I ended up reporting her to Facebook Marketplace for abuse and blocked her.  

Let me put this in perspective. This was a $5 set of used action figures that had been sitting in my basement.  You can still purchase them online with other vendors.  The price is higher on Amazon but still, not a tragedy. 

In the world of online sales, things move quickly.  You never know what is going to generate interest and what will sit for months.  If I had a dollar for every person who asked "Is this available?" I'd be rich.  For any desirable item, 10-15 people will ask about it.  I respond yes to all 15 and then wait to see who arranges a pick-up first.  If 2 people offer in the same time frame, I go with the first of the 2 that inquired about the item.  I let the second person know that they are on standby if the first falls through.  I think that is fair.  I want this stuff out of my house so I am going to go with the person who actually makes an offer.  If that nasty bitch really wanted the item, she should have sent a time for pick-up. 

 I can't tell you how many people ask about an item and then go radio silent. It's normal and I don't take it personally.  They are looking at lots of items and sometimes, they ultimately decide to buy something else or just decide they don't need it.  No harm done.  Even when people don't show up for pick up, I just go on to the next person.  I don't message the person back and call them rude, even though it is rude not to pick up when you said you would.  Sometimes things happen, life gets in the way of you buying my $1 item.  That's OK. But I will not be called rude for doing what most people do in online sales.  

Comments